Our total beyond organic food cost for July = $959.57.
It’s high, because we had to refill some superfoods (some of them are pricey). And, I stocked up on some other stuff. Aiming for the $700.00 range for August.
I talked to my friend Ryan today. Ryan does the fat adaptive thing, he eats real food. I also talked to Jonesy. Jonesy eats meat, he eats real food. Ryan is a family of 3, Jonesy a family of 4. Both spend about $900 bucks a month on groceries.
Both Ryan and Jonesy eat meat, meat is expensive. Neither of them have the commitment to buying organic/beyond organic what we do. I’m not saying we’re right and they’re wrong, I’m only pointing out that since we buy our eggs from Rose, everything we buy is either organic or beyond organic, our food costs are going to be higher than theirs.
So I don’t feel bad about the July grocery bill, but I think we can do better.
Today is day 91 doing the plant power way thing. Random thoughts:
1. Plant based eating is in tune with what we believe in.
2. Eating plant based is not expensive. In fact it’s less cost than not eating this way. A person could live this way for about $100 bucks a month, if all they ate was beans and rice.
3. It doesn’t take a lot of time. Renee spends 2 hours on Sunday cooking. That gets us through the week.
4. We feel great. Renee says she feels better than ever. I’ll vouch for that. I feel great, too.
5. Changing what I eat is just the start.
Making this change has also reconnected me to my recovery from booze and drugs. Even though I’ve been clean and sober since 4.16.07, in so many ways I feel like I’m going back to step 1, which I’m totally cool with. I’m now exercising more consistently than I have in years. I’m listening to Renee more than ever. So yes, I’m eating better. But I also want to be healthier, inside and out. I want to be a better man.
Here’s the Epic5 Recovery Blend from The Plantpower Way: