Eating this way is not cheap. In fact it’s expensive. And it takes time because you have to cook and go to the grocery store more. Renee spends 4 to 6 hours a week cooking. You spend more time going to get groceries, because you have to go to a few different stores to get all you need. The food is all fresh, it doesn’t last as long – so more trips to the store. So does this mean bag it? No! You find a way. You make it work by cutting back spending elsewhere.
1. Quit going to Starbucks. The company sucks, they don’t pay health insurance, their coffee beans are of questionable origin. So why support them? Don’t. How many coffees are you buying a month? Quit doing it.
2. Get off of Facebook and other social media. It’s all a waste of time. Not only that you’ll feel better. The time you save will free up time and more, to do your grocery shopping and cooking.
3. Consume less. Do you really need 10 pair of shoes or 80 shirts? No, you don’t. If you’re like me you wear the same clothes most of the time. I’m down to 3 pair of shoes, a few shirts. It feels great. The money you save from consuming less goes to eating organic and beyond organic.
4. Cut back on the money you spend partying, going out for drinks or smoking weed. The money you save here goes to your health. Quit buying condoms, use the rhythm method (joking).
5. Try to find a used Vitamix. But unfortunately, the prices of used Vitamix’s aren’t much lower than new. Rats. It’s worth a try.
6. Don’t try to do too much. When Renee and I started, we went all in on day 1. We got The Plant Power Way, picked 6 recipes, went shopping. Then we bought all the tools needed – the Vitamix, good knives, other stuff Rich and Julie said to buy. So in our first month, our food cost was…a lot. You don’t have to do this. Ease in. Pick a few recipes, gradually stock up.
7. Stock up. I bought two cases of beyond organic Apple Sauce from our friends in Paonia. Shipped, it worked out to $4 per jar. That’s pretty good. Call ’em, they’ll ship to you.
8. Find a store like Natural Grocers. They kick ass. These guys have way better prices than Whole Paycheck and what was in Rich’s video. In Rich’s video Goji Berries were like $16 bucks! That’s way too high. You can get them for half of that here. All the food they buy is vetted, certified. For example we don’t buy organic almonds (nuts are priced like gold), because we know their almonds aren’t sprayed.
9. Trust the source, not the label. There’s a lot of little food companies out there like his one and this one that can’t afford the organic certification (the government charges a lot to get certified, those bastards — it ought to be free). So to make up for it, they go above and beyond organic hence the “beyond organic” term. Find them, buy from them. You’ll save money.
10. Use doortodoororganics.com. Another company that kicks ass. Their prices are better than Shitty (City) Market. If they’re not in your area, call ’em and tell ’em you’d like them to be. Then, get a hold of Rich and convince his Hollywood friends to invest in them so they can expand.
11. Costco. We buy all our organic frozen fruit from them. Costco is great. They pay health insurance, take care of their employees, and their prices are great. Costco is getting more organic food all the time. Buy from them.
Typing only goes so far. So…
12. Get a hold of me. I’ll be glad to help you do this, help you save money and share what we know. And, you don’t have to join Facebook, Twitter, or any of that other social media nonsense. Why not? I always bitch at Rich about this, I’m going to eat my own cooking. Get a hold of me. Renee or I will help you with recipes, shopping, whatever. When you learn it, pay it forward and help somebody else.